Vegetable stock cube
½ red pepper
¼ green pepper
¼ orange pepper
3-4 spring onions
200g can sweetcorn
Fresh coriander or parsley
1 clove of garlic, crushed (optional)
75ml olive oil
2 x 15ml spoons lemon juice
Red wine vinegar (optional)
1. Put the couscous in a bowl. Fill and boil the kettle.
2. Crumble the stock cube into the measuring jug. Add boiling water and stir with a wooden spoon until dissolved.
3. Pour the hot stock over the couscous and cover with the plate or tea towel. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add a little extra water if necessary. Allow to cool.
5. Wash and dry the vegetables.
6. De-seed the peppers and remove the core and any white pith. Chop into cubes (about 1.5cm).
7. Chop the tomatoes in similar size pieces as the pepper.
8. Slice the spring onions finely, discarding the root end.
9. Drain the sweetcorn and discard the liquid.
10. Add the chopped peppers, tomatoes, spring onions and sweetcorn to the couscous and mix well with a fork.
11. Put the coriander or parsley into a mug and finely chop with scissors.
12. Peel and crush the garlic, if you are using it.
13. Make the dressing by whisking the olive oil and lemon juice together in a small bowl (or shake together in a jar). Add the chopped coriander or parsley, crushed garlic and black pepper to taste. Whisk or shake again.
14. Pour the dressing over the couscous and mix well.
15. If you think your salad needs a bit more kick, add a little drizzle of red wine vine.