Lesson Plan: An Introductory Butterfly Game – What Am I
Age group: Year 2
Subject area: English Key Stage 1
Curriculum objectives: En1 Speaking and Listening: 1c, 1d, 1e, 2c, 3a, 3c, 3d, 3e,
En2 Reading: 1f, 1h, 1i, 1j, 1k, 1l, 1m, 1n, 2a, 2b, 2c, 4, 5, 7a
En3 Writing: 1a, 1b, 1c, 1f, 2a, 3c, 9a, 9c
Download Printable Lesson Plan
Pupils should learn:
- To use factual information in the form of clues to find out about butterflies.
- Vocabulary related to butterflies
- That some information needs to be researched and books are good source of information.
Pupils will be able to
- Read the clues
- Solve the clues
- Work as a team
- Say what they already know
- Ask questions
- Explain what they have learnt
- Copy of the butterfly clues - What am I?
- Copies of the KAL worksheet.
- Copies of the butterfly summary
- Separate the What am I? Clues into 8 individual clues.
- Tell the children that you are going to give out eight separate clues which will help them identify which insect they are going to be learning about.
- Give out the clues (one per group).
- Ask them to discuss their clue with the others to decide what they think the insect is.
- Rotate each clue around the groups.
- Once all the clues have been read discuss ideas.
- Which clues helped you?
- Which clues were difficult and no help at all?
- Discuss any vocabulary they didn’t understand.
- Explain that they are going to be learning about Butterflies.
- Ask the children to write down what they already know about butterflies on their KAL chart.
- Discuss and write down what they want to find out.
- At the end of the topic the children should be able to complete the last column of their KAL worksheet writing the answers to questions they wanted to know.
- They could also fill in the butterfly summary to complete the project.
Live Butterfly Kits are available from www.SpottyGreenFrog.co.uk. Click on the link to view.
- Choose 5, 10 or 33 caterpillars for classroom use.
- Buy the set one year and in subsequent years buy refill caterpillar vouchers
Queries? Call: 0845 459 3270 or email:
Download Printable Game
Black & White
Designed by Primary School Teacher Gillian Jones on behalf of www.SpottyGreenFrog.co.uk. All content and
images remain the property of Spotty Gift Boxes Limited © Spotty Gift Boxes Limited 2010.